Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Blog 21: Independent Component 2

Literal
(a) Statement saying:

  • I, Sydney Tieu, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.


(b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component

  • No mentor or book helped me include the independent component. Instead, the sites The Knot and Wedding Wire had tools to help me plan a wedding. 

(c) Provide a digital spreadsheet



(d) Explanation of what you completed

  • For this independent component I fully planned a wedding that I would show to my future clients, my uncle and his fiance. Basically I had to start from scratch. The date I set the wedding was the day the independent component was due. There were some difficulties in planning this wedding especially when you do not really have the bride and groom at hand. I provided the venue after reviewing potential areas, the entertainment, the florist, the caterer, the dress, the tux, the attire for the wedding party, stationary for the wedding, the party favors, and so much more. Of course every wedding would needed a color scheme so after putting various colors together I decided that the color scheme would be purple with splashes of gray and blue. I also created seating charts for the reception and a timeline for the entire day. After hours of finding appropriate songs, I constructed a "Do Play" and "Not to Play" playlist. I also kept in mind of the traditions and customs of the couple. They are a Vietnamese/Chinese Buddhist couple so I had to make sure the wedding would be appropriate for the elders. In the end, I assembled all of the little wedding components into a binder.

Interperetive
Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work. Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.

  • Planning a wedding is NOT easy. It takes time, skill, and patience (definitely patience). Trying to design the wedding from scratch take a large amount of time. Even just putting together the seating arrangement took hours of work! I also had to do more research on wedding celebrations and create spreadsheets for the vendors. 

My wedding planning binder filled with hours and hours of rigorous  work. 

Some sources I stumbled upon while planning the wedding. They have really unique ideas for party favors, invitations, and his and her gifts.  

The wedding planning checklist which I copied and pasted from The Knot. As you can see, every box is checked and notes were written all over the paper

The reception seating chart which I tried to upload digitally but The Knot would not allow me to do so.
The color scheme I created on The Knot  but again,  I could not upload it onto blogspot.

Choosing the right shoes for the bride while still staying within the price range. 

Of course the bride needs the right wedding accessories so I had to choose some bling for the bride. 

The garter toss is an American tradition. Seeing as how my clients grew up in San Diego, this is an essential for them. 

A suit selection for the groomsmen. and accessories that may go along with it.

A tux selection for the groom and accessories that may go along with it. 

The perfect wedding dress chosen for the bride. She requested a strapless sweet heart that is a fit and flair.

Bridesmaid and Maid of Honor dresses. The bottom dress is for the regular bridesmaid and the top dress is for the maid of honor. 


Possible updos for the bride and embellishments that may go along with each hairdo. 
Possible updos for the bride and embellishments that may go along with each hairdo.


The bride requested a long laced veil that would go well with her dress. As requested, I showed her some selection. 

The bride did not want a tiara for her dress. Instead, she wanted floral arrangements in her hair. 

I chose an elegant guest book for the reception. The cool thing is, is that the ribbons can accommodate to the color scheme of the wedding. 

I created a wedding program for the reception.

The wording for the invitation. 

Save the Date cards that will send out before the invitations so guests will know an important event is coming up. 

An elegant invitation that will be used for the wedding except the color would be purple and the ribbon would be gray. 



Applied
How did the component help you answer your EQ or support one or more of your answers. Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped.

  • This component helped me support my answers because it tied in all my answers. To create a wedding, a wedding planner needs to utilize a proper budget, have connection with vendors, and create a time budget for the special event. Seeing as how I scheduled the date of the wedding to be on the day the independent component is due, I had to set up a guideline of what tasks I needed to do each day. Of course, a wedding can not take place if it does not have a budget. So after giving myself a budget of $27,021 (the average budget of a wedding in the U.S.) I planned each wedding component to accommodate that. In the end, the budget ended up being $26,785 which was under what I planned it to be. As for the vendors, I actually emailed the West Gate Hotel and talked to the head wedding planner there. She gave me lists of the rooms and how big it is, the menu, and wedding packages. 




No comments:

Post a Comment